Lentil Failure Leads to Innovation
I don’t know what it is about making my own patties, but no matter what I try. It never seems to work in my favor. It’s either to wet or to dry. I can never get that Goldilocks mixture. But, hey. Sometimes out of failure comes some pretty delicious options. Like this refried lentil recipe. Or is it Lentil crumble? Your choice! It’s all about what YOU want with this recipe.
You can cook it just long enough to be a refried beans consistency, or you can cook it longer and get a consistency similar to a crumble. The crumble is still going to be somewhat soft, but it works really well.
Fixing Pantry Staples into a Meal
This is such an easy recipe. Everything is shelf stable (unless your red curry paste is open, then it needs to be refrigerated) and it only costs a couple dollars at best (less if you catch things while on sale and stock up), and will bring you about 2-3 meals, depending on what you use it for.
My personal favorite is a nice simple sandwich. Just delicious flavors between two pieces of toast. If your lucky and have some lettuce and
Refried Lentils/Lentil Crumble Recipe
This delicious meat-free option is both delicious AND nutritious. Packed full of protein and deliciousness.
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 heaping tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
- 1 350mL can of Red Lentils
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (optional)
- Peel the onion and cut in half
- Add onion, Red Curry Paste and seasoning into the food processor
- Pulse until onion is fully chopped and everything is well combined
- Add 3/4 of the lentils to the food processor and turn on for a minute to cream ingredients together
- Add remaining 1/4 of lentils to the mixture by hand
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil (optional) to the pan and heat on medium
- Fry mixture until the desired consistency is reached
So when you get in a jam and money is tight. Know that you can always find some way to eat health delicious food.