There are three things, you will always have in your home. They are pantry staples, they are cheap and you can find them anywhere. Those three things worked together easily make 3 ingredient vegan pasta dough.
What am I talking about? Flour, water, and salt. These three things can be easily at any grocery store and even at the food bank. The beauty of these three very basic ingredients is that you can make your very own pasta. It’s that simple.
I remember long ago when I lived in a city where you could only access the food bank every 6 weeks or so, and when you did, as a single entity you only received one small bag of groceries. Now, if I had known then, what I know now. Things would have been a lot easier for me.
I didn’t learn to make my own pasta, until just a few years ago. My 3 ingredient vegan pasta dough was also very budget-conscious as well. Now, back then I didn’t have my beautiful pasta machine (roller…whatever you want to call it!) So my pasta was a little thicker and very uneven. But it was still delicious. The best part was it cost me less than a quarter for about two average servings. It worked and it was absolutely delicious.
so, when I was thinking of what we should DIY INSTEAD OF BUYING. This pasta recipe definitely popped into my head. Mainly because I have been craving pasta like crazy recently. So I wanted to share it with you as well. Especially when January and February (if that’s when you’re reading this) can be kinda tight financially. You know, with Christmas and New Year just barely behind us.
This is a really easy recipe to multiply and switch up. Check the post for how you can colour your pasta easily.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- Mix your flour and salt evenly
- Take a fork and gradually start incorporating your warm water in.
- Stir it until you can’t
- Then start folding it in using the fork, until it is firm enough for you to use your hands.
So taking some time out of your morning, afternoon evening or weekend to make some homemade pasta, can not only be cost-saving, but it can also be considered quite the treat too. You could even make this pasta for valentines day and create your own pasta shapes (talk about romance goals)
A few notes on this recipe:
- The salt you use doesn’t really matter. However, I use sea salt, and I personally prefer it to iodized table salt.
- You can not over-knead this dough. The only thing that will get wrecked is your wrist.
- Feel free to work this dough in a bowl or on your counter. Just know that if you break your well, your water will start running onto the counter.
- You can make flavoured/coloured pasta by boiling spinach, beets etc. Pureeing and then sifting out the clumps. Use that water instead of regular water.
If you’re looking for more vegan DIY DON’T BUY recipes, I’ve got you covered:
Tag me on Instagram @thediscountvegan and hashtag #thediscountvegan or #thediscountveganrecipes if you recreate this pasta dough. I can’t wait to see your photos!